Friday, February 24, 2012

The Next Step

I was nursing a Bloody Mary on the veranda, sitting in my red sling-back chair with the built-in footrest, feeling pretty good about life. Suddenly, Red (as in Lydia Talbot – star of my first novel – she made me say that) appeared at my side plopped into her matching red chair and asked:

Red: Whatcha’ feeling so good about?

Kathy: Well, let’s see…big lifestyle change coming up and I think I’m pretty excited about that.

Red: You mean… not going into work every day - at least, for awhile?

Kathy: Well, yeah. But suddenly a million possibilities seem to be crowding in. I love possibilities.

Red: Yes, you are all about possibilities. I can see that you’re feeling really happy lately. By the way, where’s my Bloody Mary?

Kathy: (chuckling) First things first, of course. I poured you one – it’s in the kitchen.

Red popped up and went back into Wanda – my 23 ft RV, which has a “kitchen” the size of a kindergarten cubbyhole – while I waited patiently for her, sipping my own icy red concoction. Ah…life is so good sometimes. Red popped back out and settled into her chair again, took a drink of her Bloody Mary and muttered, very daintily, “Hot damn, that’s good!” We laughed together and then resumed our conversation.

Red: You know what’s exciting for me?

Kathy: I think I can guess…

Red: Yes! You’ll have more time for writing, which means I’ll be having more adventures, which means your readers are going to be happier with you, which means you’ll sell more books…

Kathy: And then I’ll become a gallizionaire…

Red: Well, maybe just a millionaire, but I can live with that!

Kathy: Me, too. So, basically, no matter what else happens, there will be more time and space for writing. That has to be good.

Red: And the rest of it will all work out, one way or another.

Kathy: It always does, my friend, it always does.

6 comments:

  1. Possibilities are an AMAZING thing. Especially if it means more writing time! :) Keep Red on the move, I'm sure she had a million stories she'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the conversations you have with Red. They're so fun! Congratulations on making more writing time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I am glad you have good things on the horizon. I hope that you and Red have lots of fun plotting and planning any and all exploits. Enjoy your dreams and making them come true.

    Hugs,

    Ardee-ann

    http://ardeeeichelmann.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so happy that things are happening for you! Enjoy having more writing time, Ms. Hall. Red must be so pleased to have you all to herself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's too exciting! I'm so happy that you get more opportunities to be creative and create! I really really want your book to become the next big thing and I can totally see it moving in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your conversations with "Red". Good luck on your lifestyle change. *sigh* I so wish I had a Wanda in my life...

    ReplyDelete